The Tokyo Paralympics ended on September 5, with the Indian contingent winding up at an all-time high with 19 medals. The 2020 Tokyo Paralympics medal tally totals 19 medals, including five gold, eight silver, and six bronze medals. The record tally in Paralympics comes a few weeks after the Indian Athletes composed history at the Tokyo Olympics 2020, winning seven medals, India’s best-ever medal tally in the Olympics to date.
India sent its biggest ever contingent to the Tokyo Paralympics, with 54 para-athletes participating across nine sporting disciplines. After years of waiting, Badminton and Taekwando made their debut in the Tokyo Paralympics, represented by the India Contingent.
Since its first appearance at the Paralympics in 1968, India had bagged 12 medals at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. In Tokyo Paralympics 2020, the country witnessed a massive improvement by increasing the total to 19 with an increase of medals alone in Tokyo Paralympics 2020.
India finishes at 24th among 162 nations in the overall medal tally, with its achievement of 19 medals, placing it at 20th in terms of medals. Here is the complete list of medals won by Indian athletes in Tokyo Paralympics 2020.
Indian Gold Winners At Tokyo Paralympics 2020 – [5 Golds]
- Avani Lekhra – Women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing
- Pramod Bhagat – Men’s singles badminton
- Krishna Nagar – Men’s singles badminton
- Sumit Antil – Men’s Javelin Throw
- Manish Narwal – Mixed 50m Pistol
Indian Silver Winners At Tokyo Paralympics 2020 – [8 Silvers]
- Bhavinaben Patel – Women’s Singles Table Tennis
- Singhraj – Mixed 50m Pistol
- Yogesh Kathuniya – Men’s Discus
- Nishad Kumar – Men’s High Jump
- Mariyappan Thangavelu – Men’s High Jump
- Praveen Kumar – Men’s High Jump
- Devendra Jhajharia – Men’s Javelin
- Suhas Yathiraj – Men’s Singles Badminton
Indian Bronze Winners At Tokyo Paralympics 2020 – [6 Bronze]
- Avani Lekhra – Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Harvinder Singh – Men’s Individual Recurve Archery
- Sharad Kumar – Men’s High Jump
- Sundar Singh Gurjar – Men’s Javelin Throw
- Manoj Sarkar – Men’s Singles Badminton
- Singhraj – Men’s 10m Air Pistol
With a magnificent performance in the Tokyo Paralympics, the Indian contingent was highly appreciated by PM Modi. Besides a big number of medals grabbed by Indian athletes, a few Athletes missed out on medals closely.
Biggest misses of India at Tokyo Paralympics 2020
- Sandeep Chaudhary – Para Shooting
- Soman Rana – Para Shooting
- Rahul Jakhar – Para Shooting
- Navdeep – Para Athletics
- Tarun Dhillon – Badminton
- Sakina Khatun – Para Powerlifting
- Ram Pal and Amit Saroha – Para Athletics
The overall performance of India in the Tokyo Paralympics 2020 was magnificent, with a significant improvement in its overall medal tally to the date.